Paliare Roland has litigated cases touching on all aspects of the health care landscape in Ontario.
We have deep expertise in the regulation of the health professions. We act often as advisor, independent legal counsel, prosecution or appeals counsel for health regulators like the College of Nurses, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons, the College of Chiropractors, the College of Pharmacists, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, and College of Psychologists. We represent regulators before their own standing committees, the Health Professions Appeal and Review Tribunal, and the appellate courts.
We also defend health practitioners when negligence is alleged, whether before their regulators or the courts. In addition, we act for health professionals in their practice disputes with employers, business partners, insurers and hospitals.
We assist a wide variety of health care and pharmaceutical companies with litigating complex claims involving class actions, contract disputes, employment and human rights, product liability, corporate and shareholder disputes.
We also have extensive experience acting for stakeholders before Coroner’s Inquests and Public Inquiries dealing with health care and public health issues, including acting as counsel to:
- the Hospital for Sick Children at the inquiry into baby deaths at the hospital,
- the Ontario Public Service Employees’ Union at the Walkerton Inquiry into safety of the public water supply,
- the College of Chiropractors at the Lewis Inquest into the relationship between cervical adjustments and stroke,
- the Commissioner in the Dionne Quintuplet Review, and
- the Commissioner in the Inquiry into Pediatric Forensic Pathology in Ontario